Dear IHIMA Member,
Title 42 of the Code of Federal Regulations Part 2 (often referred to as 42 CFR Part 2, or simply “Part 2”) regulates the sharing of substance use disorder (SUD) records. Protecting patients’ confidentiality is of the utmost importance but the outdated nature of Part 2 has created barriers for providing the best care possible to individuals with SUD, often leaving clinicians unaware of risks from multiple drug interactions and co-existing medical problems.
In June, the House of Representatives passed HR 6082, the Overdose Prevention and Patient Safety (OPPS) Act by a vote of 357 to 57. The OPPS Act enables appropriate sharing of substance use disorder records by aligning Part 2 with HIPAA for purposes of treatment, payment, and operations. The bill also includes criminal, civil, and administrative protections for patients during legal proceedings and applies HIPAA penalties to the Part 2 program to ensure that patients can seek treatment without fear their information will be inappropriately shared.
The Senate is putting the finishing touches on its opioid legislation this week. We need you to take action and urge your Senator to support Part 2 reform as part of the opioid package.
To contact your US Senator, head to AHIMA’s Advocacy Action Center and follow these four steps:
(1) Fill in your personal information and click submit so we can connect you with your US Senator.
(2) Ask to speak to the Healthcare Legislative Assistant.
(3) Use the following talking points below:
- Hello. My name is [NAME]. I’m from [CITY, STATE YOU LIVE IN.]
- I am calling to ask the Senator to please support Part 2 reform by aligning the 42 CFR Part 2 regulation with HIPAA in the upcoming opioid package.
- Aligning the Part 2 regulation with HIPAA will reduce stigma by treating addiction like all other illnesses, allow for care coordination and integration of treatment, and improve outcomes. Thank you for taking the time to speak with me.
(4) Click “I’m Finished Making Calls” when you are done and don’t forget to provide feedback!
Your assistance is critical to getting Part 2 reform passed out of the US Senate!
Thank you for everything you do for the HIM profession and AHIMA.
AHIMA Policy and Government Relations Team